Is an online directory cost effective for you?
This is an often asked question when a committee gathers to discuss options? Here is an example: Consider making a medium size directory (about a 100 entries). This would typically include the following:
- 1 cover page
- 1 rear page
- 9 entries per page with 101 entries needs 12 pages
- $0.30 per color copy on glossy paper.
- 120 copies to be printed
With those assumptions, after you have spent hours doing layout, the printing costs alone would be 14 * 0.30 *120 = $504. So compared to an annual printed the Online Photo Directory is $384 less per year when compared to an annual printing ($504-$120=$384). For an every other year printing, a typical situation, your saving would be $152 per year ( ($504-$200)/2=$152). What are you getting for $152 less each year?
- No time spent formatting the directory for printing.
- A directory that is online and searchable that can provide summary demographic information.
- A directory that is dynamic, it can be updated at any time and printed when needed.
- An online contact database (see Using a Connections as a communications tool).
- The ability to easily produce data files for merge mailings.
Is it cost effective? You will have to decided.